WE ARE A PUB WITH A DIFFERENCE.
We’re proud to have won the Great British Pub Awards ‘Pub of the Year’ in September 2017, for our unique concept and offer. As a social business our key objective is to support young people into work in the pub, catering and hospitality trades. We target young people who are marginalised and need extra help such as young offenders and disabled young people. We’re still rated as one of the best food pubs in Greater Manchester, having consistently and regularly featured in all the main national newspapers and especially their ‘Top 50 Sunday Lunch’ venues year on year.
WE ARE PROUD TO PROMOTE CULTURAL DIVERSITY THROUGH EDUCATION AND ACCESSIBILITY OF OPPORTUNITY TO YOUNG PEOPLE IN OUR LOCAL COMMUNITIES TO SUPPORT THEIR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT.
WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
We’ve a stunning Orangery dining room, with fine views across the Irwell valley to Holcombe and 5 stunning boutique bedrooms, so you can enjoy a stay for business or pleasure! We’re conveniently located just off the M66 so ideally located for Pennine Lancashire, Manchester, Rochdale, Bolton and Bury. Recommended as a place to stay in The Guardian in 2017, The Times in 2018 and The Sunday Times in 2019.
Please check out our Twitter feed below for recent news and info
Sean Forshaw and his team are serving you the best locally sourced and seasonal Pennine foods, including our home grown produce. Focussing on sustainability and use of traditional local recipes with a twist, we develop a contemporary and seasonal food offer so that you can experience the best in Lancashire pub grub and hospitality!
We cook everything fresh and ‘slow service’ is only when you are expecting things to arrive quickly. We are not a fast food restaurant, so we politely request that you respect our care and attention and expect to wait for your food to arrive in due course. If you have children, we are very happy to prioritise their food so we can ensure that they are fed as soon as possible, so you can relax and enjoy your experience with us. We recommend 2 hours of dining time with us.
If you arrive very hungry, please tell us and we will do our best to ensure that you have a few nibbles to keep you going!
Due to an increasing customer demand in line with our own sustainability principles, we have developed a VEGAN and VEGETARIAN menu and have numerous vegan friendly wines available, including 3 by the glass and a number by the bottle.
Please click here for more information on our food including example menus. Visit our ‘News’ page for details of special dinners and events.
Please note that we have a new telephone number of 01706824477
We have 5 fabulous individually designed en-suite double rooms (2 with baths and balconies). All rooms have large beds and modern touches to ensure you have a luxurious stay with us. Our accommodation is rated 4 star ‘Silver Award’ by Visit England and we have a 9.4 rating on booking.com from guests.
Click here for more information on staying with us and to book directly to get the best rates.
Cask ales are provided by our reputable local brewer Daniel Thwaites, where only select pubs and inns have access to their craft ales including our own ale ‘Top Bunk’. We have 12 gins available, an ample enough wine list (including vegan wines by the glass) and a great selection of seasonal cocktails and mocktails, which much like everything we do, are our twist on classic recipes! Our team will always be happy to rustle up your favourite cocktail for a special occasion, so please ask!
We’re on the East Lancs Rail Ale Trail too- click here for more information!
Winner of a host of plaudits for our social and environmental credentials, you can be pleased that your custom is helping to tackle youth unemployment and invest in the next generation of chefs and hospitality professionals. Our social enterprise trains and employs young people aged 14-25 to make sure that they have the skills and experience to move into work or further training in the food sector.
Most recently, we are thrilled to have been successful in gaining a grant from the EU ERASMUS+ programme to support 12 of our young staff to access vocational training experiences in France and Spain.
Chris and Justine, two of our initial trainees tell their story with a short video. Since this, Chris continues to work locally as a chef and Justine has finished university this year. We have many more success stories.
Click here to see their story.
We work with a wide range of young people, but are also committed to helping those at most disadvantage in the work place, including young offenders, young parents and young people with a disability. Since we opened our doors in October 2011, we have supported over 130 unemployed and disadvantaged young people into training and employment, with a 70% achievement and progression rate. We are proud to be a social business and thank you for your custom as this helps us change lives and help young people achieve their economic potential.
We were proud to make the top 5 in the Sustainable Restaurant Association’s People’s Choice award and win the Hospitality and Tourism Skills for Business award. We won the coveted British Institute of Innkeeping (Bii) National Innovation in Training Award as Independent Trainer of the year, and we have also won a host of industry specific awards and plaudits.
Our awards and accolades to date include:
- Shortlisted ‘Publican of the year, 2020’ Glen Duckett, Pub 20 (industry award), 2020 (awaiting result)
- Winner ‘Business Builder UK’ Daniel Thwaites Awards of Excellence, 2019
- Winner ‘UK Community Pub’ Sawdays, 2019
- Listed Top 20 Pubs with rooms, The Times, 2019
- Winner ‘Leading Restaurant’ This is Manchester Awards, 2018
- Visit England: 4 star ‘Silver Award’ rated accommodation
- Winner ‘UK Pub of the Year’ Great British Pub Awards, 2017
- Winner ‘Best Family Dining’ Lancashire Life Awards, 2017
- Listed Top 50 Sunday Lunches in UK, Observer Food Monthly, 2017
- Winner ‘Best Independent Trainer’ British Institute of Innkeeping NITA, 2016
- Winner ‘Best Food Pub’ Manchester Food and Drink Festival, 2016
- Winner ‘Entrepreneur of the year’ Skills for Business awards, 2016
- Winner ‘Hospitality + Tourism’ Skills for Business awards, 2016
- Winner ‘Best Trainer’ Daniel Thwaites Awards for Excellence, 2016
- Glen Duckett: Runner up ‘Licensee of the year award’ British Institute of Innkeeping, 2016
- Winner ‘Community Impact’ Made in Bury awards, 2015
- Runner up ‘Sustainable Restaurant Association People’s Choice Award’ 2015
- Winner ‘Community Pub of the Year’ Sawday’s Guide to Pubs and Inns, 2014/15
- Winner ‘Best Food Pub’ Lancashire Life, 2014
- Winner ‘Best Food Pub’ Manchester Food and Drink Festival, 2014
- Winner ‘Best Dining Pub’ Daniel Thwaites Awards for Excellence 2014
- Winner ‘Pub of 2014’ Daniel Thwaites Awards for Excellence 2014
- Listed in the Independent’s Top 50 Sunday Roasts, 2013 + 2014
- Winner ‘Best Sunday Lunch, UK’ 10th Observer Food Monthly Awards 2013
- Winner ‘Best Newcomer’ Daniel Thwaites Awards for Excellence 2012
- Winner ‘Best Food’ Daniel Thwaites Awards for Excellence 2012
- Winner ‘Best Newcomer’ Great British Pub Awards 2012
- Highly commended: Lancashire Telegraph Business Awards 2012 Social and Community award
|Monday: 12-3, 5-11.00||Food served 12-2.30, 5-9|
|Tuesday: 12-3, 5-11.00||Food served 12-2.30, 5-9|
|Wednesday: 12-3, 5-11.00||Food served 12-2.30, 5-9|
|Thursday: 12-3, 5-11.00||Food served 12-2.30, 5-9|
|Friday: 12-11.00||Food served 12-2.30, 5-9.30|
|Saturday: 12-11.00||Food served 12-9.30|
|Sunday: 12-7.00||Food served 12-7, Sunday lunch menu only|
PLEASE NOTE THAT DURING THE WINTER MONTHS OF JANUARY, FEBRUARY AND MARCH LAST ORDERS FOR LUNCH DURING THE WEEK IS 2.30PM. THE KITCHEN WILL RE-OPEN AT 5.00PM.
AFTERNOON TEA IS AVAILABLE MONDAY TO FRIDAY 3PM BY ADVANCED BOOKING ONLY.
Wanting to book a table? CLICK HERE
Or call us on 01706 824477
(Please call us if you are wanting to book a table on the day or at short notice, please do not use the email link as we only check emails twice daily)